Randolph Schwabe studied first at the Royal College of Art and then at the Slade, between the years 1900 and 1905. In 1906 he moved to the Académie Julian in Paris and in 1908 he travelled to Italy with his friend and fellow student from the Slade, Francis Sydney Unwin. Randolph Schwabe was appointed an Official War Artist during the Great War, and afterwards taught at Camberwell and Westminster Schools of Art. Schwabe was essentially a graphic artist and he became drawing master at the Royal College of Art in the mid to late 1920’s. In 1930 he succeeded Tonks as professor of the Slade School. However, he gave the responsibility for teaching painting to his friend Allan Gwynne-Jones, so that he could concentrate on teaching his preferred discipline of drawing.
Although Randolph Schwabe’s early architectural works were issued in published editions, his figurative work as a printmaker does not appear to have been released in formal editions and impressions of any such works are now rare.