Original etching by Leonard Brammer.
Excellent impression from the only edition of 25 signed proofs. Inscribed with title and price (£8.8.0) by the artist in ink verso.
Built for Josiah Wedgwood, Etruria was the main Wedgwood factory from 1769-1950. Only one of the original factory buildings remains on the site today. Adjacent to the factory, Etruria village gradually developed as a collection of 126 simple houses and cottages, built over a period of around 50 years, between the late 1760's and 1820, to accommodate the workforce of the Wedgwood factory. Small and fairly primitive in their construction, they were occupied by the lower categories of the workforce. Most were demolished in the 1960's.
Josiah Wedgwood commissioned the local engineer James Brindley to create the Trent and Mersey Canal, seen in this image, to enable kaolin (china clay) to be brought from Cornwall right to the door of his Etruria factory. Equally importantly, the canal allowed the finished products to be taken away smoothly, with the minimum of breakages.
This outstanding industrial view with its overtones of L.S.Lowry is now amongst the most sought-after of Brammer's works.
Provenance: collection of Mrs. Robert D. Chellis.
On cream laid paper, with ‘Cross-in-Hand’ watermark, with full margins and deckle edge. Mild time tone in outer margins, otherwise very fine original condition. Image surface excellent.